IDC predicts that our digital universe—the data we create and copy—is growing by 40% each year, and that by 2020, it will contain nearly as many digital bits as there are stars in our physical universe.
Imagine this: if the digital universe were represented by the memory in a stack of 128 GB tablets, there would have been one stack stretching two-thirds of the way from the earth to the moon in 2013 (representing 4.4 zettabytes). IDC predicts our digital universe can be represented by 6.6 stacks of these tablets stretching from the Big Blue Marble to the moon by 2020 (representing 44 zettabytes).
What will our digital universe look like in 2025? Read these 12 predictions to find out what the future holds:
- By the end of 2018, IDC predicts five times more growth in spending on cloud analytics versus on-premise solutions. —IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Analytics, Cognitive/AI, and Big Data 2017 Predictions
- By 2019, 40% of digital transformation initiatives will be supported by cognitive/AI capabilities, providing timely critical insights for new operating and monetization models. —IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Digital Transformation 2018 Predictions
- By 2020, IDC predicts all effective IoT efforts will merge streaming analytics with machine learning. —IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Analytics, Cognitive/AI, and Big Data 2017 Predictions
- By 2020, revenue growth from information-based products and services will be twice the growth rate of the balance of the product/service portfolio in over half of Global 2000 firms. —IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Digital Transformation 2018 Predictions
- By 2020, 90% of large enterprises will be generating revenue from data-as-a-service. —IDC FutureScape: Worldwide IT Industry 2018 Predictions
- By 2021, 33% of organizations will expect natural language query and natural language generation as standard capabilities of business intelligence systems being considered. —Ventana Research Assertions
- By 2021, 66% of analytics processes will no longer simply discover what happened and why; instead they will also prescribe what should be done. —Ventana Research Assertions
- By 2025, IDC predicts that the total amount of digital data created worldwide will rise to 163 zettabytes, ballooned by the growing number of devices and sensors. —IDC Data Age 2025
- By 2025, the amount of the global datasphere that’s subject to data analysis will grow by a factor of 50. —IDC Data Age 2025
- In 2025, the IoT data analyzed and used to change business processes will be as much as all of the data created in 2020. —IDC Data Age 2025
- By 2025, more than a quarter of all data created will be real-time. —IDC Data Age 2025
- By 2025, 60% of the 163 zettabytes of existing data will be created and managed by enterprise organizations. —IDC Data Age 2025
Need to get your organization ready for this near-future deluge of data? Find more insights from IDC AVP Philip Carnelley in the blog 5 Data and Analytics Strategies to Drive Your Digital Business. For more future-forward insights and advice from leading analysts and influencers, read 8 Enterprise Analytics Trends to Watch in 2018.