Last modified: April 2015
How We May Collect or Receive Personal Data from You
MicroStrategy may collect or receive your personal data from you through your use of the Site in various ways.
Information You Submit
You may choose to submit your personal data and other information to us through various communication channels provided on the "Contact Us" webpage of the Site, for example, by email, or telephone. You may also choose to submit your personal data to us by email or through online forms in connection with activities such as account creation, use of MicroStrategy services, downloads of our software, inquiries about becoming a MicroStrategy partner, inquiries about jobs at MicroStrategy, job applications, conference or training registrations, purchases of products and services and requests for support.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
Cookies and similar technologies help us to analyze how users use the Site. Cookies and similar technologies are also used to facilitate your use of the Site. For example, if you create an account with us, cookies can "remember" your email address to save you having to enter it manually upon your return.
- What types of cookies are used on our Site?
Below we explain the different types of cookies that may be used on the Site.
- Required Cookies
- These cookies are necessary for the Site to work, and enable you to move around it and use its services and features. Disabling these cookies will encumber the Site's performance, and may make these services and features unavailable.
- Functional Cookies
- These cookies save your settings on the Site — settings such as your language preference. Functional cookies may include:
- Session cookies: These cookies are temporary and are used to differentiate a user of the Site from a visitor. When a user logs in to the Site, a session cookie allows them access to their account and user content. These cookies expire when you close your browser.
- Persistent cookies: These cookies are longer lasting and will remember a user’s preferences. Persistent cookies are used by MicroStrategy to "remember" a user after they have logged into their account.
- Analytics Cookies
- Third-party Cookies
- The Site may also feature limited other third-party cookies. We partner with third-parties to provide you with connections to certain social networks, such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, and to provide you with additional features such as YouTube. By engaging with such third-party sites, for instance, by clicking the Facebook "Like" button found on our Site, such third-parties may place session or persistent cookies on your browser. The use of these cookies is subject to such third-party’s own cookie policies, which MicroStrategy strongly recommends you to review before you use the Site. Their privacy policies are linked below:
The Types of Personal Data We May Collect
Via the cookies mentioned above under the section "Cookies and Similar Technologies", we may collect information regarding your website usage, IP-address, browser type, email address and operating system.
In addition, through the communication channels made available on the Site’s "Contact Us" webpage and in connection with activities such as account creation, use of MicroStrategy services, downloads of our software, inquiries about becoming a MicroStrategy partner, inquiries about jobs at MicroStrategy, job applications, conference or training registrations, purchases of products and services and requests for support, we may collect your contact details, such as your name, e-mail address, address, telephone number and fax number. In connection with job inquiries and job applications, we may require additional personal data from you, such as your education history. In connection with your purchases of products and services we may also collect billing information from you. You may also voluntarily provide other data that is related to you in connection with your inquiries or comments. We encourage you, however, to provide no more personal data relating to you than is necessary in order for us to provide an appropriate response to your inquiries or comments. If you choose not to provide your personal data, we may not be able to provide services to you.
How We Use the Personal Data We Collect
We may use the personal data we collect from you to:
- provide services to you;
- with your consent, provide you with notice of product releases, special events, trainings, promotions or other matters relevant to you;
- provide technical support and respond to your inquiries;
- process your payments and purchases;
- improve the level of service you receive from us; and
- prevent you from having to re-enter your personal data on future visits to the Site.
We also may use the personal data we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
How We May Share Personal Data
MicroStrategy does not sell, rent or trade your personal data. We may disclose your personal data (i) to third party providers of technical, marketing, recruiting and payment processing services for the purposes set forth above; (ii) to other MicroStrategy group companies for the purposes set forth above, (iii) to competent authorities and courts if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena), (iv) to competent authorities and courts in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, (v) in exceptional circumstances, when disclosure appears necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity or (vi) in any other case, with your informed consent.
International Data Transfers
How We Protect Personal Data
We maintain appropriate technical and organizational security safeguards designed to protect the personal data you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
How Long We Retain Personal Data
We retain personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we collect the data (see above under "How We Use the Personal Data We Collect"), except if required otherwise by law.
Links to Other Websites
The Site may contain links to websites maintained by third parties, whose information and privacy practices differ from ours, including, for example, websites that process online payments. We are not responsible or liable for the information or privacy practices employed by such third parties. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of all third party websites before using such websites or submitting any personal data or any other information on or through such websites.
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal data we collect from you. To update your preferences, ask us to remove your personal data from our mailing lists or submit a request, please contact us as indicated in the "How to Contact Us" section below. To the extent provided by the law of your jurisdiction, you may request access to the personal data we maintain about you or request that we correct, amend, delete or block the data by contacting us as indicated below. Where provided by law, you may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us or object at any time on legitimate grounds to the processing of your personal data, and we will apply your preferences going forward.
How to Contact Us
Attn: Office of the General Counsel
1850 Towers Crescent Plaza
Tysons Corner, Virginia 22182
* The European Economic Area is composed of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and UK